Sunday, August 8, 2010

welcome to the vineyard
Well, I arrived safely to the Yard. It took me almost 12 hours to get here due the enormous amount of traffic we encounter. I arrived in the dead of night, fairly appropriate since everything I do is mildly complicated for no good reason. I did not see much on the car ride to my destination, just a lot of woods and back roads, Chilmark is very secluded from the rest of the island. The town of Oaks Bluff, right off the ferry was magical-- I want to revisit on a day off. Apparently, the oldest carousel lives there. 

I arrived to the Yard, a dance colony in Chilmark, at around 9.30pm. That is when I noticed my cellphone had no service (at&t does not provide service to the island-- go figure) and would not be able to talk to people regularly on my downtime. That is also when I notice how old this property is and that there are bugs everywhere. I do not know what I was expecting with that-- it's an old house in a woody area. However, I broke down in tears late last night because I was not expecting that. I envisioned beautifully pastoral cottages with modern utilities and wonderfulness. I suppose it may be like that, but definitely a lot of bugs. In a few minutes I am going to roam the estate, see what it looks like in the daytime and get acclimated. It might take a few days or a week. Last night, when I got out of the car I looked around in the darkness. Looking up, I noticed the stars. Oh my lord, there were hundreds. The sky was so clear. I have never seen so many stars in the sky. It was absolutely extraordinary.

-m
   

No comments:

Post a Comment