Tuesday, August 17, 2010

melissa west makes dances/fall season schedule

This fall I will return to a lot of creations, re-stagings, and work at hand. This makes me very excited. While at the Yard, I intend to restage People in the Sun as a solo for an October performance (tba). I have already begun to do so, check out this clip of my practice from yesterday in which I work on my petite allegro. I am also watching Pictures quite repetitiously to relearn phrases-work I have long since forgotten about.



Also for when I return to NYC, I will be creating a new piece to be debuted sometime in the spring season. It will be a performance piece featuring approximately 10-14 performers of various backgrounds. The piece will be 15-25 minutes long and will involve lipstick, a light fish sculpture, the constellations, and a lover's waltz. That is all I will say about it for now, don't want to spoil the surprise. I am very excited!

This week I took class with Sandy Stone, a former Taylor dancer which was wonderful! I intend to take class at the Taylor school when I return home. Doug Elkins is here and taught class this morning. It was fun, very syncopated. Tomorrow he will be doing more phrase-work with us.

As for the Yard, despite the constant messiness of living with 10 people in one very old house, things are going well. We've staged to Opera's, one of which I loved: Archy and Mehitabel, starring Alison Fraser. It was so cute and witty. I want to read the book of poems when I return to NY.

I made some soup for lunch and will eat a veggie burger for dinner. I don't know why that's important but somehow it just is.

very well, xo
melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment