Thursday, February 25, 2010

the slush of it


The slushy new york snow decided to fall once again today. I had thought that spring would be shining upon us in no time but alas we must wait.

So, in dance related news-- I just read an article from the New York Times, stating that Christopher Wheeldon is leaving the company that he founded.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/22/christopher-wheeldon-leaves-dance-company-he-created/?hp
Give it a read. I am not particularly a fan of Mr. Wheeldon, simply because I think too much emphasis was placed on him as a choreographer in a short span of time--- not necessarily a bad thing, however I think a lot of hype was/is attached to his name. But, read nonetheless... it'll give us something to do on a rather dreary day.

There is also this article that the Trisha Brown Dance Company facebook group posted earlier today.
http://bombsite.com/issues/45/articles/1720 Yvonne Rainer is one of my dance mothers and is a very brilliant writer. It's an intimately written interview between the two women from way back-- 1993 discussing Trisha's process and some of her works. Enjoy!!

I have exciting news, dear reader! I will be attending tomorrow night's performance of the Paul Taylor Dance Company's NY season at City Center!! On the bill will be Esplanade (one of my favorites,) and Scudorama. I have seen Esplanade three times now and each time, it gives me chills. I have never seen Scud so I am very excited... Also on the program is Changes, a dance I am not particularly fond of. The first time I saw it I found it a bit thin and lacking choreographically. I will revisit tomorrow evening and see how I feel and write my first review here at the independent movershaker!! :P

In other non-eventful news, I am fairly certain that my laptop short circuited this morning as I was getting ready for a job interview. The interview, despite snow and nerves, I think went alright though the interviewer kept mentioning how young I looked... I am not sure if that's a disadvantage, though-- if it is, then it makes me question the ideals this country is built upon.... There's a blog in the works on that.

Also, I have ordered some copies of my dance performances over the past two years. As soon as I get them, I will post them here for you to see. This is very exciting because I'd love to share these dances with the world.

I need a glass of pinot. Tonight, I will be checking out the Dirtbombs with Josh. Cannot wait, because we need a night out. A snow date! :) Last night he made the most delicious tasting shrimp and broccoli stir-fry... ugh, I wish I had a picture to show.

(Btw, I have noticed that my blogging topics shift from dance to personal, but I don't seem to mind--
hope you don't, either ;)

-melisza.

(pps: i like the way my name looks when spelled this way... it is a bit more exotic than the Greco-Anglo Melissa). Heheh.

No comments:

Post a Comment